Saturday, October 5, 2013

Maria Lassing


I stumbled upon this artist, Maria Lassing, when I was searching for exhibits in Austria for a future trip. I then noticed I had used Maria in my sketchbook from Drawing 2. I thought that was cool because she had caught my eye in the past and I might get to see her stuff in person. Her vulgar style was full of tension and odd decisions, but there's a sparse and fleeting nature to her pieces. She is known for her interest in "body awareness," creating forcibly awkward forms. Lassing's exploration of human form is enticing to me in her films and paintings, because her ideas can come from such a warped view. Der Delikate Boxer (2000) is painted in oil on canvas but has texture and motion. She presents a humanoid type figure with a single boxing glove in a mystery situation, on a stark complimentary background. Her works don't give off the vibe that's she worked too long on them but sometimes they take her quite a while to reach her standards. Lassing's contortions are interesting and youthful, and I hope I, and you, get a  chance to see her work.

Hannah Hahn

No comments:

Post a Comment