Sunday, December 1, 2013

Discussion 1 - Jonathan Jackson

Vincent Gootzen
What makes Gootzen's work so interesting is the way he composes his pieces through found objects, paint, collage, and performance. He will use sound to help craft a feeling for the piece while he creates in front of an audience. This process gives every piece its own sense of life, allowing the viewer to be a part of its birth. Gootzen's background as a professional skateboarder has heavily influenced his work. A lot of the forms he creates are reminiscent of urban architecture, such as rails and stair-sets.

Shaun Washington




 
I truly enjoyed how this piece above was designed. I have always wanted to bring my art beyond the canvas into the more 3-dimensional aspect of art. Taking a piece of wood and another canvas, modifying them, and then painting across them and even above has got to be one of the most brilliant ideas I have ever seen. Vincent Gootzen is brilliant and the color scheme he used to produce this piece is easy on the eyes and gives you a sense of adventure. The colors move with the piece to make it a real story.
 
- Jonathan Jackson

3 comments:

  1. Sorry everybody the computer went nuts lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this artists painting. They look as if they use some sort of graph to construct these paintings. I get a sense of direction when I look at them because of the fine lines used. One thing that I haven't seen much of is paintings that really have no border and expands without and restricting edges. For instance the last one builds in different directions on the wall

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know right? He has some fascinating work I do have to admit and the no boundaries fact makes me want to see more of his work. It is really enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete