Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Re: Reflective and Comparative Analysis

Anne Daniels




Pullman, oil on canvas, by Hung Liu, 2004. (2nd photo) 

 

         When I first saw this representational painting, I was drawn in immediately. I could probably sit down and look at this painting for hours. The dripping of paint, and the beautiful textures of light oranges and yellows really intrigued my eye. As you look at it you see circles, which contrast the shapes of the men's heads. My eyes moved from left to right, following the two linear marks towards the men. The men seem to be pulling an object of some kind. The object you can't see or know because the focus is on the two men's figures and how they are positioned. You can tell the object is a lot bigger and extremely heavy beings the way they are leaning forward, indicating force. I love his different use of strokes and manipulation of the oil paint. He uses it in a wash like look coming down from the figures and in the background, and then he uses the gestural marking throughout the entire piece.

I really like how Hung Liu places a picture of an interesting and very decorative glass vase in the painting. The vase being so random makes you think about what exactly is the true reason behind it being there. I see the two men representing the hard work of perhaps slavery and the simple vase as a small but representation of how slavery doesn't define their humanity. The vase is a symbol of life, how very precious life is. How anyone can come by and push the vase over and instantly the vase will shatter. I see that the heavy force the men use will be their downfall if they push themselves to far, they will be like the shattered vase. Going back to the dripping of paint, it could contrast how the men are deteriorating as they pull this heavy object behind them. The dripping is their sweat, blood and tears.


Around the Clock with Red, acrylic on canvas, Helen Frankenthaler, 1983. (1st photo)

 

         I really like this abstract painting. Whenever I would come into the Hunter prior to this assignment, I would always sit in front of this piece and look at it. I don't exactly know why I found this specific painting to be so interesting but it really moves me. I love the colors and the different value and hues of reds. I really love how there are no exact brush marks, it all flows really nicely with bold hints of the dark magenta colors. I like the random lighter areas as well. This piece really attracts the eye and every time you look at it you find something new. Even now as I am observing my picture for this post I can see new little pops of color and marks. I didn't read what the meaning behind this painting was because I didn't want it to alter what I see but I feel that it was produced out of expression. I see lots of different layers and movements. By the title I can imagine this painting being a time effort piece since it was done in acrylic, it had to be applied quickly since acrylic dries rather fast.

 

After digging deep into both of these paintings, non-representational and representational, I found it very interesting seeing what they had in common in the end. Both Helen Frankenthaler and Hung Liu used very expressive brushstrokes and gestural marks. The way they both captured someone's interest; allowing the eye to go back constantly seeing a new object was remarkable to me. They also showed signs of layering in their work but using different mediums. I enjoyed looking at both of these paintings. They really moved me.

            

No comments:

Post a Comment