Saturday, September 13, 2014

Reflective and comparative analysis

(1) Reginald Marsh, (Gaiety) Burlesque, circa 1930-1933, egg tempura on canvas

When I first walked through hunter this was instantly one of my favorite paintings in the gallery. Reginald Marsh's "Burlesque" was a beautiful repersetational painting. The whole painting makes me grin.  From the expressions of what seems to be boredom on the faces of the men, to the smirks of the the dancers on stage, and even the one guy in the crowd that faces you with a smile.  Its as if the women are purposely messing with their male audience and only one man figured it out. Its almoost like im seeing teenagers in high school.

(2) Helen Frankenthaler, Around the clock with red, 1983, acrylic on canvas

  This painting was a very hard one for me to miss. The different shades red and almost entirely pink canvas drew me in. I spent a while just staring at it wondering what it was about, what did the artist show in the work.  I couldn't understand it which made me like it even more the when i started looking at it. I walked away from it still debating with myself over the subject.

  Both paintings made me think about a bigger picture. What could the story in the painting be and what was the artists goal? I truely wanted a story to go along with both just to ease some of the questions that poped up everytime i passed these two beautiful works of art. I guess i will just have to live with the mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment