Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Joan Snyder

 Joan Snyder
 
This artist caught my because of all the rich textures she uses throughout her paintings. The first image is interesting to me because of the way she placed most of her focus in the middle of the composition. By doing this she really builds up a ton of visual texture and creates several abstract shapes for the eye to move through and explore. The bottom image I was mostly drawn to because it reminds me of our current project in class and the concept of palimpsest. You can really see the way she has built up several layers with paint and various techniques; she even seems to also be covering up text as we are. I also admire how she is not afraid to really experiment with the materials and such bold mark making.
-Shelby Turner
 

No comments:

Post a Comment