Thursday, November 7, 2013

Kathleen Mack

I stumbled across this artist while working my previous job in a local Chattanooga gallery. Her works were often cracked from her vapid use of paint and medium but they all are striking in person. She works from small scale to large scale, and I got to experience a handful of her paintings like  "Competition," "Just Another Manic Monday," and "Free Wifi" up close. Her style is empathetic because you feel a connection to the characters represented by her lively use of color creating that volume and interest that draws you in. Her style emphasizes what we've been learning in class about building volume from stroke and color, not black and white. She doesn't always cover all of the canvas, leaving a very authentic persona to her work. I particularly enjoy her metrolpoliatan and figural studies. The colors she uses to shape her forms really inspire me for my work and I hope they do for you as well.
http://www.kathleenmack.com/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment